Tuesday, May 26, 2009

TWD: Chipster Topped Brownies


I have this small problem. I'm the type that usually thinks that when you take two seperate good things and put them together... that you get an even more amazing thing. Confused? Let me give you some examples...

Biscuits? Awesome. Sausage Gravy? Awesome. Put them together? Totally awesome.

or...

Warm Brownie? Awesome. Ice Cream? Awesome. Warm Brownie with a scoop of Ice Cream? Totally awesome.

It makes sense. Which is why I thought that this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was going to be a knock-out. It was essentially a chocolate chip cookie baked on top of a fudgy brownie. How genius is that, right?

I made a half recipe and made the recipe exactly as written (except I used pecans instead of walnuts in the brownies) and what I ended up with was so rich, after a few bites, I couldn't handle it anymore. (If I'd had some ice cream to go with it, incidently, I could have polished off the whole pan, I think. But by itself, it was just too much for me).

I felt like the cookie part didn't have enough flour in the recipe. Even when I tasted some of the dough, I thought to myself... hmm... this doesn't taste like regular cookie dough. It wasn't nearly as good as cookie dough generally is.

And when it baked, the top hardened, but the inside never really set up. It was gooey (which, in my book is generally a good thing). The brownie set up nicely and was so intense and fudgy. The other issue I had, was what the chocolate chips from the cookie all sunk down to the brownie. Which, I think contributed to the fact that it was too rich for me.

If you like rich desserts, then this is right up your alley. And I think if I had had some ice cream to eat with this, I would have LOVED it. But, by itself... it was just a little too much for me. Sometimes... two parts are better off alone than they are together, I guess....

You can find the recipe on Beth's blog: Supplicious

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your brownie looks all ooey, gooey, good! I didn't have any ice cream either thank goodness or I wouldn't have as much to take to work!

Elyse said...

It's always a sad thing when two awesome things combine to create too much of a good thing. Oh well, these bars certainly look delicious! I guess from now on, we'll keep our brownies and cookies separate :)

TeaLady said...

Baby bites. Baby bites. Way rich and sweet for anything bigger. Good, but too rich for me too.

Popsicle Recipes said...

Great reading tthis